Custom-fit Dentures and Dental Implants | Dr. Michael Morch DDS PS
If you live in or near Woodbridge, VA, and need custom dentures or dental implants, then it’s time to contact the office of Dr. Michael Morch DDS PS. He is the premier prosthodontist in the area and has been serving Northern Virginia for over 23 years.
What is as Prosthodontist?
A prosthodontist is recognized by the American Dental Association as a specialist in prosthodontics, which is the diagnosis, treatment and planning, rehabilitation and maintenance of the oral function, comfort and appearance of patients with clinical conditions causing missing or deficient teeth or other maxillofacial issues.
Prosthodontists complete an additional three years of training and education beyond dental school that focuses on treating dental and facial problems with missing teeth and/or structures of the jaw. With this additional education and over 23 years of experience, Dr. Michael Morch DDS PS and his staff are able to provide the residents of Woodbridge with exceptional service and results when dental implants or dentures are needed.
Differences Between Custom-fit Dentures and Dental Implants
Both dentures and dental implants can bring back your sparkling smile, as well as give you the ability to pronounce words properly and eat the foods of your choice. Although they both replace missing teeth, there day-to-day function is different:
- Dentures: Dentures are a custom-made, removable appliance that is a replacement for missing teeth and the surrounding area. They must be removed and disinfected daily. There are two types of dentures: partial and complete.
- Complete Dentures: Complete dentures are used when all teeth are missing or have been removed. They are either conventional or immediate. Conventional dentures are made after the damaged teeth and other areas of the mouth have been removed and had 8 to 12 weeks of healing time. Immediate dentures are made right after the teeth and damaged tissue have been removed. These tend to not fit as well because over time, bones and gums will shrink as they heal. Immediate dentures are usually temporary, until conventional dentures can be made.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are a removable appliance that replaces only the missing teeth and/or surrounding tissues. They are used when the patient still has at least one viable, healthy tooth.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants use titanium as a permanent replacement for dental roots. The damaged tooth and root are removed and allowed to heal, then a metal post is implanted into the jaw bone with a temporary tooth and then allowed up to three months to heal. When the jaw and gums are healed, a permanent, real-looking tooth is placed. You brush and floss your dental implants the same way you would your natural teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants and Dentures
There are many benefits to removing damaged teeth and replacing them with dentures or dental implants. Some of these benefits are:
- Appearance and Speech: Your dentures or dental implants will look like natural teeth, which means you will have a perfect smile. They will also give structure to your mouth, allowing you to pronounce words without the worry of whistling noises or missing sounds.
- Nutrition: Having working teeth in your mouth will allow for consumption of all types of foods, so you’ll be able to chew and bite down effectively.
- Oral Health: Both dentures and dental implants are easy to clean and take care of, so your overall oral health is easy to manage.
Contact Dr. Michael Morch DDS PS for Dental Implants or Dentures
If you live in or near Woodbridge, VA and you’re having any complications with your teeth, dentures or dental implants, contact the office of Dr. Michael Morch DDS PS today at 703-878-7969.